Thursday, December 27, 2012

Feed The Hungry

I love when the Grinch learns the true meaning of Christmas in the movie, How The Grinch Stole Christmas.  What a beautiful site to watch how Christmas still comes to the Town of Whoville as they all come together to join hands and sing.

In her book, Graffiti, Alene Snodgrass writes, "Christmas doesn't happen because your house finally gets decorated and the boxes neatly wrapped.  No, it happens when we are out loving on those who wondered if Christmas would even come."

I read somewhere earlier this month (I can't remember where for the life of me) to have your family write down the top three things they would like to do over the holidays.  The first thing I wrote down on my list was, Feed the hungry. 


I want this because I need to know that for us Christmas wasn't all about the packages, boxes or bags. More then ever this Christmas, I want to bring Christmas to someone else.  But...wanting something and doing something are two different things.  

As I write this, Christmas is only days away and I have no plans to feed the hungry.  It makes me sad that I haven't done anything to make this happen. 

As Christmas presents begin to fill our home and packages are wrapped and placed under the tree, I begin to realize I haven't moved past thinking that Christmas does happen in the form of packages, boxes or bags.  I stress over what to buy, and did I buy enough.

The Christmas lists keep growing, but I know in my heart that God is telling me, "Beth, don't let the Grinch steal Christmas."

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you: he is the Messiah, the Lord." - Luke 2:10-11

Good news...A Savior has been born!

"When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them." - Luke 2:17-18

Spread the good news...A Savior has been born!

This is the meaning of Christmas.

How do we spread the word? God is answering that question for me by telling me to bring Christmas to another.

****

Did I make this wish come true?

Christmas is over and while I did not literally feed the hungry, I do believe we fed the hearts of a family.  My husband and I helped honor one of our fallen heroes from the Vietnam War by hosting a private ceremony with the family of this hero by placing a wreath on his grave site.  As ceremonial words were spoken and the wreath was placed I heard God whisper..."We feed the hungry in many ways...you my child just fed this family. You gave Christmas to this family."

Friends, if you helped bring Christmas to another I would love for you to share your story with me.








No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.