Sunday, February 17, 2013

An Answered Prayer

I was going to take a new approach in my writing and share my thoughts with you on the word BREATHE. (This does not replace my one word, Embrace.) I've seen several writers provide a "prompt" word for you to write about and you then come back and "link-up" with others. And this particular word keeps appearing throughout my days and I finally caught on that God was trying to send me a message.

As I was thinking of this word BREATHE, I was reminded of a difficult season in my life and how God used the brokenness of my family and created something beautiful. He not only answered a prayer, but He answered it in a rather unexpected way.

Let me first share that I'm a wife and a mother to two adult boys. My husband and I aren't quite empty nesters yet as our younger son is still living at home while attending college. But as our children approached adulthood I have to admit I was afraid of how this would change our marriage. When so much of your marriage is focused on raising your kids and all of the sudden they are grown and don't require every ounce of your attention how do you replace that time?

I realize many look forward to this new freedom, but it scared me.

As is the case with any marriage (because none of us have a perfect marriage), my husband and I have had our share of ups and downs. Some of the downs were significant and came close to ending our marriage. When I look back I realize it was easier to devote all my attention to my children rather than trying to improve my relationship with my husband.

My husband and our oldest son also had a difficult relationship. They are two very alike individuals which made for many battles. I think our youngest son was doing his best to simply go unnoticed midst the chaos.

There was a season of desperation in our home. Something needed to change. Peace was needed in our hearts and with each other. We each had a longing for wanting to be loved unconditionally and without that feeling we were dying inside.

Many times it takes hitting rock bottom before we turn to God for help.

I was not a follower of Christ during this time so I can't even say my prayer was a formal prayer, but I do know in my desperation there was a prayer on in my heart.

Oh how God then answered my prayer.

If you would have approached me several years ago and asked how I would feel about being a military family, I would have responded quite adamantly that a military family we would never be. I have always had full respect for those that choose to serve our country, but it was not an option for my family.

God had a very different plan for us.

I soon found myself watching my husband become a Soldier at the age of 42 and shortly after watching our oldest son become a Sailor. Out of the blue we were a military family.

You may wonder how becoming a military family answer my prayer. My only response is that God used this to draw us closer to Him. As we navigated this new lifestyle we discovered how much we needed Him, and how much we needed each other.

God gave to my husband and I in so many ways. But more than anything He taught us how healing can be found when we give. My husband gives in his service to our country. I dedicate my time to supporting those that serve, their families and remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

While I was afraid of this next stage of our marriage, God used that fear to build our faith in Him. During the time my husband was away completing his training with the Army we both found our way back to church...we found Christ. In Him we have learned that we are loved unconditionally and how His perfect love cast out fear. I no longer fear how my husband and I will fill our time without a focus on our children, but I treasure every moment we have together.

As for our children... it began with God bringing peace to the hearts of my husband and I. Through Him we were made new and that transformation has strengthened our relationship with our children and taught us how to simply love them. Peace now resides in all our hearts and our home.




What does the word BREATHE have to do with my story? Well...changes lie ahead for my husband and I with his first deployment scheduled for later this year. God has been whispering to me to simply breathe and trust Him.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11






****

Linking with Kristen

7 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While your posts are always well written, this one was truly touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite an amazing story Beth! You just never know what God will do to transform us and draw us nearer. God bless you and your family for serving our country in this very concrete way. And thanks for visiting us on CirclesOfFaith.org. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm touched that you stopped by to read. Happy to have connected with CirclesofFaith.org. Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful story. I love the way you described beauty coming from brokenness...You encouraged me today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story Beth. Love the way God woos us back to Him. I'm so glad I stopped by here too, I didn't know about Kristen's new link-up. It's been fun getting to know you through the writing group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, I just adore this. I love how you have open hands and an open heart to embrace this new phase of your family's lives. And welcome to the big military family, friend. I'm praying for you and yours as the deployment nears.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.