Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Way that Never Fails


Image by Cindee Snider Re

It has been two years since we gathered around a table together for Thanksgiving. It has been two years since the Thanksgiving in Washington, D.C. when we gathered around our son’s table with his wife and a handful of sailors. It was as close to perfect as you can get this side of heaven.

We are missing family members at our table again this year.

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. Gathering around the table with loved ones giving thanks for His many blessings, makes my heart sing and dance. 

But I thank God for another day of being able to say, "It is well with my soul." Even though we are not together, God keeps watch over my family both near and far. It is well.

After spending almost a year without my husband, too many holidays without him by my side, my gratitude runs deeper. The song, 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord), by Matt Maher, rings truer: "For all his goodness I will keep on singing."

The past twelve months were challenging ones. There were moments when I wanted to call it quits. There were moments when I pleaded to God, "Enough already. I'm not capable. Give the job to someone else."

Sounds a bit like Moses, does it not?

We have the privilege of knowing how the story goes. He was born in a manger, ministered to the lost, persecuted for His faith, died on the cross for our sins and then rose again. No longer must we sacrifice animals as burnt offerings for forgiveness of our sins. We are forgiven. It is finished (John 19:30).

The story He writes for us ends well. It ends with eternal life with Him. So really, it never ends.

Join me over at Outside the City Gate for the rest of the story.

  Share |

14 comments :

  1. Love you, sweet Beth! I'm glad your husband is home for this Thanksgiving, even if you're missing the ones who make your family complete. Your willingness to trust God and continue seeking him encourages me so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Kristin. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thank you for all your encouragement. Much love. xoxo

      Delete
  2. This was a lovely post, Beth. Your words really touched my heart. I'm so glad that you're with your husband this Thanksgiving, but I know that you're missing the others. May God grant you a sense of "togetherness" though you're separated by miles. And may He be especially close to you with His loving Presence.

    Have a wonderful holiday, full of JOY!

    Love you, and GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A call from our son yesterday and ending the evening by putting up our Christmas tree with our youngest son gave me the "togetherness" I needed. I hope you had the a wonderful Thanksgiving, Sharon. Much love to you. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Beth,
    I tried leaving a comment over at Outside The City Gate, but it wouldn't "take"...so here I am to say thank you for your lovely encouragement to love...even when it isn't easy. We will all not be gathered around the table either, but it is well with my soul. Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving!!
    With much love and ((hugs)),
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment came through at OTCG too, Bev. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Much love to you. (((hugs)))

      Delete
  4. Thank you Beth, for this powerful blog. It gives me hope en comfort through Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, may you feel love wrapped around your heart this day from all your loved ones no matter how far away they are. And may you feel God hugs all day long! Happy Thanksgiving. Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much love wrapped around my heart! Thank you for your friendship, Heather. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Much love. xoxo

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful post, Beth. I, too, am missing most of my family today, but like you, I can say, "it is well with my soul". Thank you for the reminder that the story does end well for us all. That statement is true, even when it doesn't feel like it. We have so much to be thankful for. Wishing you and yours (near and far) a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well. I feel those words so deeply this morning and pray you do too, Heather. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that those missing were held closer to your heart. Much lvoe to you. xoxo

      Delete
  7. My family has been forever torn by divorce. This means seldom are we all at the same table together. That does not mean I cannot pause and remember all I have to be thankful for. My memories are beautiful and I am forever grateful for all the years we all sat at the table together. Hope your day was filled with laughter and joy remembering all those years you were together!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such beautiful encouragement, Lulu. I truly appreciate what you shared here. Thank you for your willingness to share. Many blessings to you.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.