Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lead Your Generation {Graffiti Summer}




We are beginning the fifth week of Graffiti Summer and reading from For Your Generation in the book Graffiti: scribbles from different sides of the street. If you are wishing you had joined in, it's not too late. I'd love to follow along with you as you begin your journey. You can find the introduction here.

In the FREE Graffiti Study and Do guide for this section, one of our readings was Romans 12:10-16. I went back a little further and read from Romans 12:4-8:

For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

What is your spiritual gift? I completely understand if it's hard to answer this question. Alene shares great resources in her current post to help you.

Several months ago I took a spiritual gifts survey through my church and my results came back saying my gifts were administration and serving. Administration didn't surprise me since I work full-time as an executive assistant. Serving didn't surprise me either. Long before surrendering my life to Christ I felt a stirring in my heart to serve.

There are times when God is calling me to serve but I don't feel equipped to meet the need on my own. The particular need isn't one of my gifts. Bring cookies to a friend? Prepare a meal for a family going through hard times? Trust me, you do not want me baking or cooking. The call to serve though is one I can no longer ignore.

Remember my friend Tammy and her addiction to connections? You can read her post here. We don't need to serve alone. Get connected; God has given us all different gifts. The need you don't feel qualified to meet can be met when we connect with others with different gifts from us. Let's read Romans 12:4-5 again.

For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

Together our different gifts form one body in Christ. We belong together. So let's get connected!

One of the first messages Alene shares with us in this study is to be different. Here is where you can lead your generation. Be different. Don't walk away from a need because you feel not up to the task.

When I wanted to bring sweets to two different friends to let them know someone does see them, I turned to my son and his girlfriend who love to bake. I learned a family could use a home cooked meal so I ran straight to my husband since he's the cook of our household.

When embracing a friend recently who is struggling, I knew prayers were desperately needed. God heard my plea for help (I'm still working on praying out loud) and at just the right time another dear friend walked up to us. The three of us wrapped arms together and this dear friend lifted up a heartfelt prayer to God.

A new friend recently shared with me her desire to reach out to those who believe they aren't enough. We both have seen a need and decided two voices are better than one. Together we will tell them because of God's grace they are more than enough.

I'm a bit shaky in the knees about my upcoming mission trip to Guatemala. I'm grateful the trip will be made with many otherstogether we will be the hands and feet of Jesus.

You may feel unequipped to meet a need but you can lead the way by reaching out to others and together you can meet that need. Lead your generation by being obedient to His call to serve. He is counting on you. God isn't asking you to be perfect; He is asking you to be obedient. 

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." ~ Galatians 5:13-14

Gather up some friends and go love your neighbors. Lead your community to be one that extends love to all. All you need to do is walk across the street and you will find someone waiting to be loved.

To read previous posts on Graffiti Summer, click here.

8 comments :

  1. Great encouragement. You are a wonderful example, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you recognize your gifts, but you don't let it stop you from serving others. Girl - you be delegating to get a need met. Love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your point that just because we aren't uniquely gifted doesn't mean we can't serve. Although, it sounds like that is also your gift of administration talking! A little deligating going on there! I love it, though. I have thought a lot about God using me and providing everything I need but I had never specifically thought about seeking out others gifted in certain areas. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. If I waited until I felt equipped I would never do anything. Thanks for encouraging us to do what we are called to to do, even if we have to do it creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it doesn't even have to be about generations -- but those around us. I love leading in our church community and connecting those who need help with the resources we have to take care of each other. Can't wait to hear about Guatemala!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, how better to "love your neighbor as yourself" than to do it in community with others. Thanks as always for a great post! Love and ((hugs)), Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep walking in faith and obedience, Beth! And keep praying out loud. The more you do it, the more natural it will become.

    And girl -- I didn't know you were going with us to Guatemala! WOOHOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.