Monday, August 4, 2014

Get to Know You Monday (Vol. 10)


Growing up my family owned a home in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Our home sat on the narrowest point of the lake. Many summers were spent in that home and on the lake. We would also take off to spend a long weekend there throughout the year. The fall months were gorgeous. I loved the smell of burning leaves. Something I haven't smelled for a long time.

A current picture of the home . . . it looked much different when it was ours many years ago.

The summer months included lots of time hanging out on our pier, swimming in the lake and gathering up for a boat ride. With ten kids in tow, I don't think we ALL gathered for those boat rides. I could be wrong.

Again, a current picture (not from our days).

My parents named their boat "Windsong." The name came from a song written by John Denver titled "Windsong." Yes, my family grew up with a serious love for John Denver.

For some reason, a memory that has stuck with me is receiving news that our boat came unanchored and floated off. It happened to be found hanging out by the Wrigley's home. Like William Wrigley of The Wrigley Corporation!

While I have a slight fear of water (please don't ever dunk me) I love being by the water and on the water. A long boat ride with the wind blowing on my face equals joyful times. Only if there are no storms on the forefront though. I do have a scary memory of being caught out on our boat in the middle of a storm.

My time in San Diego last week included a few walks along the San Diego Bay.



To give my son and his wife alone time before he headed out on his deployment, I spent one evening on my own. I walked to a marina near the military base and found myself wishing I could convince one of the locals to take me out an evening boat ride. Being that I am an introvert that did not happen. Instead, I started dreaming up names for the boat I decided we would one day own.


Coming up with a name isn't so easy. I am somewhat indecisive. But . . . there is one name I keep coming back to and that is "Habakkuk."

The Book of Habakkuk is the eighth book of the 12 minor prophets and attributed to the prophet Habakkuk. The name Habakkuk means "embrace" or "wrestle." God prompted me to read this book last year. My one word in 2013 was Embrace. When I first began reading Habakkuk I did not know what the name meant. God works in amazing ways, doesn't he?

In the three chapters of the book we see Habakkuk wrestle with tough questions, but his final response is to embrace God and trust in Him. This feels much like my faith walk. The book remains one of my favorites because I can relate to his struggle and final response.

Naming my boat Habakkuk would serve as a constant reminder to embrace God and trust Him no matter the circumstances. Even if I am on my future boat in the midst of a storm. Sounds like a good name to me.

What would you name your boat? I do realize I could be giving you a tough question to answer and risking very few comments to this post. If you need to come back after pondering for a few days, no problem whatsoever.

If you cannot come up with a name I have another option for you. Maybe you missed my post from Saturday where I share a few things about myself as part of  the Declare pre-conference linkup. You can read my post here. Would you share one of your favorite things?

The endearing quirks will be next week's question so don't share any of your quirks just yet.

  Share |

30 comments :

  1. I loved this post, and now you have me thinking of my future boat's name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think of a name be sure to come back and share, Elizabeth. Would love to hear. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I've got to stop reading your posts late evening or early morning, Beth, 'cause I am at a loss right about now for some bit of brilliance. Just having a boat would be a cool thing.

    There you go.

    'A Cool Thing.'

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth,
    My husband loves sailing. We owned our own sailboat for about 5 years, but then sold it. Since we bought a used boat, it already had a name: Pizzaz. In order to change the name of the boat, there is legal paperwork to go through and a renaming ceremony. We decided to keep the name the same.

    Currently a good friend lets us use his 40 foot Beneteau sailboat often because my husband does most of the maintenance. I love being on the boat, sitting in the cockpit, reading and watching all that goes on.

    Van and I often think about what we would name a boat if we could. I've thought of Bruiser because the small spaces and movement of the boat often means I have big bruises by the time we leave the boat. But I think Scatter Joy would be the name I would truly choose. I love the sun sparkling on the water because it reminds me of God's Presence and the joy I have because I follow Him. Scattering His joy to others is something I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love, love the name Scatter Joy. I'd love to ride around with you in your boat, Debbie. And thanks for the joy that you always scatter. xoxo

      Delete
  4. This house reminds me of one of the houses I grew up in, including the trees.
    My mom was terrified of going under water, even in the shower.
    Sad to say, she never got over this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Michelle. I've never fully understood where my fear comes from but grateful the fear doesn't keep me from water. It has made me very cautious which isn't always a bad thing. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Beth, I am dumbfounded at another *coincidence* in our lives! My dad had an aunt who owned a house on Lake Geneva for years! When I was a child, our family visited her several times. I loved fishing and swimming and waterskiing there! We loved using her golf cart to explore her acres, and to run obstacle courses through her rose garden!! (Wonder if she ever found out about the roses we ran into, and then carefully scotch-taped back on so she wouldn't know?!) I have very fond memories of Lake Geneva.

    My dad loved the ocean all of his life. It was his dream to buy a boat when he retired. Well, that dream did in fact come true. When we were all trying to think of a name for it, I pointed out to him that his years of owning a plumbing and heating supply company had in fact enabled this dream to come true. So, I suggested, why not name the boat "Pipedream." And that was that!!

    If I had a boat? Hmmm. I love the ocean, but unfortunately I tend to get seasick. So maybe my boat should be named, "Not So Swell."

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with each comment you leave I'm ever so grateful we have connected. You make me smile. I know . . . I've told you that many, many times.
      I love the stories you share and I simply adore your heart. Two great boat names! Sorry to hear you get seasick. :(
      So blessed by you, friend.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Can't think of a boat name so this is a long winded favorite thing: In June and July I celebrated 27 years of marriage to my best friend and the love of my life. We met when we were both active duty and stationed in Comiso, Sicily, Italy. We had two weddings, June 12th is the official date recognized by the military, we were married by the Mayor of the town of Comiso Sicily with just us, the Mayor and a translator as the ceremony was completely in Italian. July 5th is the one we celebrate the most, this one was done on base in the Base Chapel with 25 of our closest friends. We do celebrate both dates, however it depends on the year and which one is closest to the weekend. We prefer celebrating July 5th because that is the one that was in church and based on Christian principles. Our youngest son recently married a lovely young lady on July 5th our 27th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love this story. Gave me goosebumps. Thank you so much for sharing and THANK YOU to both you and your husband for your service. Blessings.

      Delete
  7. Well, if we ever owned a boat, it would be "When Pigs Fly".... because that's the only way we'd ever own a boat. Now I want to, though, so I could name it that. LOL

    Love you. Heart Hugs, Shelly <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always make me smile, friend. That's quite the name. :)
      Love you.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Oh, you just KNOW, I have to take a ride with you on a boat named Habakkuk!! And mine would be Karis, which is the Greek word for Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, we will have to take a ride in both of our boats because I love your name too! I really, really love. So glad you shared. I am so hoping we meet one day soon. xoxo

      Delete
  9. beautiful pictures. I LOVE water. It's my favorite. A boat name would be so hard to think of... I just think of my one word kneel, but that's a strange boat name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Maybe a name will come to you. If so, please do come by and share. It is a hard question to answer. It took my two weeks to decide on mine. Much love to you, Lisa. xoxo

      Delete
  10. How fun to be on a boat and even more so to own a boat. I actually started thinking about a name when you mentioned it last week but got stuck and came up blank. This morning as I was reflecting on the name again I realized that the best name for me would be Passage Through Grace-yep the name of my blog. I know that the only reason I move from day to day is because of grace. His lessons for me always involve grace and as an imperfect person who makes so many mistakes, I can treasure the gift of grace that God gives each of us freely. A boat is the perfect vessel to illustrate this as it moves through the smooth waters or rough waters-grace is always there through those good and bad times. Great idea today Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a beautiful name it is for both your blog and your boat! Love it. <3

      Delete
  11. Love that story of how you came up with the name for your boat, Beth! I really like this Get to Know You Question as I would like to own a boat one day and love the water. I had to think about it for a while here's what I came up with: Grace Rays. This is a combination of my grandparents' (now in Heaven) first names. I also have always loved the name Grace and of course, the word itself, because it means everything to me. I always enjoy these Mondays. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Abby, that is so beautiful. I am glad you are enjoying these Monday's together. Thank you for joining in. <3

      Delete
  12. I love boats and water, also...though, I don't seem to have any fears about being in the water. I also grew up staying at my parent's lakehouse every summer! So much, so, that my hubby and I now live on a lake! We have a pontoon boat, but have never named it...I may have to really think on that idea, as nothing comes to me at the moment. I love what you discovered about the name of Habakkuk! I never knew the meaning of it was 'wrestle' and 'embrace'. Your photos are breathtaking!

    Blessings! Ann @ Christ in the Clouds
    http://christintheclouds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think of a name for your pontoon boat, be sure to come back and share. :) Thank you for stopping by. I hope to see you again. Blessings.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed learning more about you even though we have "known" each other for several years. I hope your dog is doing better. God Bless and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore the book of Habbakuk. I have heard of your great wonders. Do it again in my time Lord. Amber version there. Great pick

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Habbakuk would be a very appropriate name for a boat. I don't think I could ever come up with a name, I would probably always change my mind :) of course that is what I said about a tattoo and I did eventually find the perfect one.

    Your blog looks great by the way! Very fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alecia. You've been in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.