Monday, January 27, 2014

(in)courage: Daring to Dream



When I tell someone my husband is deployed I'm typically asked how many tours he has done. Because of our age, many assume we have been a military family for years and this couldn't possibly be his first tour. This tour is indeed his first.

Wait, I wanted to start from the beginning.

After far too many arguments to count, because the thought of my son joining the military scared me to death, I finally gave in and accepted my oldest son's decision to enlist in the Navy.

Can you imagine my surprise when shortly after my husband informed me he wanted to enlist in the Army Reserves? "You are 41. Is that even possible?" I actually surprising said, "Wow, that is way cool." The military had somehow won me over.

In February 2011 my husband became a soldier and in March of the same year my son became a sailor. I could not be prouder of these two men in my life.

I'm not sure why God used the military to draw us closer to Him, but He did. All I know is the decision made by my son and husband led to a transformation for our family that only God can accomplish. You can read our story over at Circles of Faith.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

It did not take long for God to plant a desire in my heart to encourage military spouses.

As a wife to an Army Reserve husband my experiences are rather limited. We do not live on a military base, there are no PCS moves for us and until now we had not been through a deployment. For the most part, daily life remained the same for us after my husband enlisted. "Why me God? How could I encourage military spouses?"

I quickly became enthralled by all things related to supporting our military and their families. My hand raised without hesitation to be the Family Readiness Group Leader for my husband's unit. And I kept raising my hand. I was suddenly greeting service members at the USO, packing comfort care packages to send overseas, writing letters and before long co-leading a military support ministry with my husband.

I wanted military families to know I understood the sacrifice made by the service member and also by the spouse. What I realize now, until the day my husband walked out the door for his first deployment I did not fully understand.

Now surviving a deployment has become my reality and the dream God planted has taken on wings. God has given me the word JOY as my one word for 2014. In a year without my husband, I'm seeking JOY and I find myself praying the same for other military spouses. God is not limited by where we are in the season of our life. JOY can be found even in a season of a deployment.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." ~ James 1:2-4 (NIV)

There are plenty of reasons to say military life stinks. Especially when going through a deployment. I know how deeply your heart can ache. In the skip of a beat you can go from being on cloud nine and then to your knees in uncontrollable sobs because your cloud nine cannot be shared easily with the one you love. Oh, how this just happened to me.

But blessings can be found. God is ready to overwhelm us with blessings.

"God is ready to overwhelm you with more blessings than you could ever imagine so that you’ll always be taken care of in every way and you’ll have more than enough to share." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:8 (Voice)

This past weekend a writing friend spoke on daring to dream. She reminded a room full of women how God will use whatever we are doing right now for a purpose. We simply need to trust Him and go through the doors He opens.

God has opened a door for me to encourage military spouses through (in)courage.


For the next eight weeks I will join another military spouse, Anna Pasquale, in co-leading a Facebook page for the women of (in)courage whose husbands serve in the Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard.

Are you a military spouse? If so, we would love for you to join us. Find out more here and then register for the (in)courage military wives page here.

This is a place where you will find encouragement and understanding from those of us who are traveling the same unique journey beside our own husbands. In our session we’ll dive into scripture, share practical tips for surviving military life, and love on one another when the trials of the day are overwhelming.

If you are not a military spouse, maybe you know one and will want to pass this information along. Pretty please.

Maybe you are another God-sized dreamer. He has placed a dream in all of our hearts. What dream has He placed on yours?

26 comments :

  1. This is amazing. Thank you for raising your hand Beth. God is doing a good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet, Lisa. THANK YOU!
      Much love,
      Beth

      Delete
  2. Beth, so excited for you as you begin this journey. I know you will be a blessing to so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I'm always so grateful for all your encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Isn't wonderful how God just connects the dots of our lives Beth. So happy for you to be able to fulfill your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is SO good. Thanks for sharing in my excitement.
      Much love,
      Beth

      Delete
  4. Don't you love that God is using all that your life has become to bring such desperately needed hope to others? I'm so excited at this invitation He's placed in your heart. And even more excited that you're saying an exuberant 'yes.'

    'Here am I ... send me.'

    No one will do it better, Beth.

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always leave such great encouragement, Linda. THANK YOU. Loved that ~> "Here am I... send me." That made me smile as that is so how I feel lately.... ready to be used by Him.
      Much love to you.

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful, Beth! I actually saw a picture of you over at (in)Courage the other day when I was looking through the different groups! What a blessing for the women who sign up to have you as a co-leader! I know God will use your heart to minister to many! When we step out for God, incredible things happen. I'm so excited for you!

    Love, Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. Did you sign up for a group? They really are a blessing. I wish they did not have to be limited in size but I also understand the reasoning.
      Thanks for all your love and support.
      Love you,
      Beth

      Delete
  6. I'm so proud of you Beth! God is going to use you mightily in the lives of so many women. He already has!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited for you! You are such an amazing encouragement to so many (myself included) that I can't think of a better fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I'm so glad we have connected in the blogging world. You are a sweet encourager. {hugs}

      Delete
  8. Thank you Beth - your husband and son - for the service you give our country! Your post is encouraging in so many ways, especially how God creates a place for us to bloom! What an awesome way to bloom - by encouraging the family's of deployed soldiers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving encouragement behind today, Beth! So glad to meet you! May God bless your husband and son and bring them back home safely to you. May He wrap His loving arms around you as you await that moment! Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are awesome, Beth! I love how God is using you, my friend. You are one of my favorite encouragers and will bless so many in your group. Hugs and continued prayers for you and your family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited for you my sweet friend! You have been an encouragement to me and I know you will be an encouragement and blessing to so many others!!! God bless you and your family! My prayers are with you. Love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're such a good wife and a mother. Continue to share your life with others and inspire us, military spouses. Thank you for your post.

    Military wives

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, living over here near Fort Lewis have many friends who's husbands get deployed and I always wonder how they do it. Having a baby on their own, doing Christmas just she and the kids, making this decision and that decision. I'm not sure how you could do it without the Lord's hand. Bless you and all those military wives out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Beth! What a blessing your men have been to you to lead you down a path that the Lord planned for you! It sure sounds like you were born to do this. My husband is an ex-Marine, but he was 'ex' when I met him. I can't imagine how I would have felt supporting him through tours of duty.
    God bless you and your new venture with other service wives. You are doing wonderful things!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely words coming from a lovely heart. I've been encouraged recently by the middle words from the James passage you quoted: Let perseverance finish its work. Let it finish. You're walking a hard road right now, and I know that as you walk it with an eye toward joy that perseverance will finish its work in you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God is using you in so many good ways to bless others! I'm so thankful to know you and consider you a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're brave, my friend. And God is going to use you in a mighty way through this group!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such an encouragement, friend...I know God is going to use you to impact so many lives! Blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE THIS. Oh, girl, I am so amazed reading this story of your deployment in ministry as your hubby is off on a tour. Praying God would extend the reach of your ministry, bless this (in)courage group, fill you to overflowing with peace and courage as a wife. So glad I popped over from the GodSizedDreams.com linkup and got to read this. Blessings, sistah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.