Wednesday, April 3, 2013

From a "newbie" Christian

I'm not sure if you would call me a "newbie" Christian. I love how a dear friend of mine referred to me as "a new believer who has grown more in the past two years than many Christians who have been saved for years and years." This made me smile! But I do think I'm only at the first mile marker in the race God has set before me.


The past couple weeks my Facebook page was flooded with messages from other fabulous bloggers on lent, the death of Christ, the painful waiting period, and His resurrection. As time allowed, I would dive into the hearts and words of others. The time spent reading taught me that there is still much I have to learn. When it comes to the Bible, there is always more...much more.

On an online writing community I belong to, someone posted the question of whether or not the Easter weekend inspired your writing. My first response, Nope, not me. No inspiration here. I honestly haven't felt God inspired writing. I've felt a little word-less in the writing arena. The question itself, however, seems to have inspired some words.

The Easter weekend did not leave me uninspired by any means. The Easter weekend left me somewhat speechless, but everything about the weekend has inspired me to fill my heart and soul with His words. I've been inspired to know everything about this man who endured such unthinkable pain for me. I've been inspired to no longer use the term "newbie" Christian as an excuse for not knowing His story. This Easter weekend was life changing.

  • A Good Friday message on how the Cross offered us a new and better way of coming to God. I heard those words, "It is finished," with a new appreciation for what they meant. We were saved completely for all time.

  • For the first time I heard Jesus' prayer from the Book of John: John 17

  • I understood what it meant to wait...to wait for His resurrection. My heart ached for how His followers must have felt not knowing what would come next.

  • Then came that glorious day: Hallelujah! He is risen! I woke up Easter Sunday not fully knowing at first why my heart beat faster. But understanding quickly came...Hallelujah! He is risen!

  • My pastor delivered a powerful message on Easter morning that gave me a new understanding of what it means to come to the cross. Coming to the cross is a choice we make. At the cross we connect with the God who saved us; the God who loves us. At the cross we make the ultimate surrender. "We come to the cross and die there so He can make us new." We make that surrender daily.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30

  • A video was played that morning on how we are God's original masterpiece...we need to let Him chip away that which isn't what He intended (chip off what is sin) and be molded into the image of His son. We need to believe this ---> "God doesn't make junk. You are an original masterpiece." Watch this powerful video.

  • My weekend ended with watching the movie, "The Passion of the Christ." I cried and I cried watching all that Jesus went through for us. To then see Him again...Hallelujah! He is risen!

Here I am now. Easter is over so what comes next? Someone apparently heard me ask that question. Read from circlesoffaith.org: Easter's Over—Now What?, written by Penny Musco.

I love these words from Penny, "Oh, that our hearts would burn like those two on the road to Emmaus! That we would "not see and yet believe" (John 20:29)!" Her words help me describe exactly where this Easter weekend has left me. A burning heart to believe. A burning heart for more of God and His Word.

My Bible is opened to the Book of Matthew! Oh how my heart is burning my friends! I've previously read all four Gospels, but I only read them, I didn't fully take in every word written. My heart is burning for more of God and His Word.

My prayer is that you experience the same burning for more.

Blessings to you all.


14 comments :

  1. How beautiful, Beth! How inspiring to hear of your journey! You have grown so much in His grace. The woman at the well (John 4) began witnessing to others about the Messiah as soon as she realized Who He was, and as a result, most of her village was saved! God is using your testimony to His glory in much the same way.
    Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on Saved by Grace! Your blog is a blessing and I am now following it, and I invite you to follow Saved by Grace also:
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/
    Love in Him,
    Laurie Collett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Laurie for you kind comments. Thank you too for following my blog. I'm following yours now too!
      Blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. That's right where He wants us, Beth!! Seeking Him with all our hearts!! Growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!! Loving Him with our whole selves! Resting in Him!! All for His glory and honour!! Right there with you.
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post and you said it all in this statement:


    A burning heart for more of God and His Word."--that is my desire also, Beth--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from the group on Facebook, and I'm so glad I came by.

    Beautiful, Beth. May Easter always feel brand new to you. To all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, you are such an inspiring woman. I did not realize you were so new to the faith of Christ. I am so excited for your journey but like someone told you, you are such a woman of God. Amazing what God can do when we seek Him and follow His words. Good post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend! I do so appreciate your encouraging words.

      Delete
  6. Wow Beth, what a beautiful Easter time you had. It sounds like you really went there with Jesus on the journey. I think if we let the Easter season really penetrate, we could weep through the many weeks...in awe, in sorrow, in joy. When I arrived at church on Sunday, I tell you, I really could have just folded up and sobbed. I couldn't do that, but I felt it. Moved again to know what God did for me and you. So delighted to have you joining us at CirclesOfFaith.org. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elise for stopping by and sharing. I agree...we could weep for many weeks in awe, sorrow and joy. I'm so thankful I found my way to CirclesOfFaith. Your site is a blessing.

      Delete
  7. What a delight to know that my words ministered to you, Beth! All the glory goes to our God and Savior. Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Penny, thank you so much for stopping by. I really am greatful for the words God put on your heart to share. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  8. Yes! That says what I want perfectly: A burning heart for more of God and His Word.

    God bless you sister. I'm thinking you are no longer a newbie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I pray "Lord, continue to give us a holy passion for YOU!" This is beautiful. Thanks friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.