Thursday, April 18, 2013

A softened heart towards Guatemala

Memories of places I've been with my family have delighted me this past week thanks to Kristen @ Chasing Blue Skies and her most recent "out of the blue" prompt.

This week Kristen asks: Tell me about a place that surprised you by how much you liked it. Write about how you didn't expect to love it and why you now do. Maybe you live there now or hope to in the future. Maybe you vacationed there and hope to visit again. Either way, you were surprised at how the Lord softened your heart towards this location and how He's used it to bless you.

I could easily tell you about our family trip to St. Joseph, Michigan several years ago that far exceeded any expectations I had. It was a glorious four days together. Many pictures from this getaway hang in our hallway and always make me smile. My favorite memories are of our evenings relaxing on the shore of Lake Michigan with a fire, music and many laughs. One evening we were even blessed with fireworks!


But what about the time I was able to take my husband and two boys to the place where a significant portion of my childhood was spent? "Rocky Mountain High Colorado..." This state is simply breathtaking. From the moment we climbed into our Tahoe to begin our sixteen hour journey, to the moment we rolled back up the driveway, I felt as though we were in heaven. Colorado is one of God's masterpieces indeed.


I could fill up this post, and many more, on how wonderful these trips were. I pray we have the opportunity to return to both places again as a family.

As I was trying to decide which place to share with you, as both equally hold a special place in my heart, God kept bringing my mind to a place I've yet to visit and for some reason this is the place I most want to write aboutGuatemala!

While I haven't been to Guatemala yet, my heart sure feels like this is where God has always meant for me to go. My new passport in its pretty pink cover is ready to take me on this adventure.

The mission team from my church met for the first time this week. My heart skipped a beat as one of the leaders asked me to help open our time together in prayer. God was already taking me out of my comfort zone and we are months away from leaving. Any lingering doubt on whether or not I heard God correctly when I said yes to being a part of this team, vanished in that moment.

Our time together was spent looking at pictures from previous trips made by mission teams, discussing fundraising opportunities and reviewing our preliminary itinerary. My heart feels as though it's already half way to Guatemala. I was most excited to hear how we will bring a big birthday party to a daycare we will visit. I've got goose bumps thinking about those precious children. May God allow us to bless them in a way they have never been blessed.

As our evening ended another woman asked me if I was afraid. At first her question confused me. Then, I quickly understood. She has fears on how God would use her in Guatemala. Oh, yes, me too!

How am I overcoming these fears? With prayerslots and lots of prayers.

God, please let me be the hands and feet of your son Jesus in Guatemala. Whatever fears I may have of how you could use someone like me, I'm handing them over to you. With complete surrender, I'm yours and ready to follow your lead.

I'm blown away by how God has already softened my heart toward this place and I know without a doubt that He will use our mission team to bless the Guatemalan people. I also have a feeling He will use this trip to bless each of us.

Would you please pray for me and the rest of our mission team?

12 comments :

  1. Done!

    I can't wait to see how God uses Guatemala to write your story. Love this, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love traveling too and I can't wait to hear about how God meets you in Guatemala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth,
    I will certainly pray for you and for your mission team. As you go to bless and serve others, I'm certain that you will find that YOU are the one who has truly been blessed. Will be anxious to hear stories upon your return!
    ((Hugs))
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev. I appreciate your prayers. (((hugs)))

      Delete
  4. I have no doubt that God will use you in Guatemala! Many blessings to you on your trip. How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alecia. I appreciate you stopping by. Happy Friday!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an exciting and challenging opportunity! God loves when we listen to Him and follow His voice. You have been called to this, and God has gone before you and will walk beside you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen. Nice to *meet* you through Kristen's link-up. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  6. Love THIS!!! It's amazing how God breaks our hearts for the people He is calling us to before we even know those people. Girl - I am so excited for you. I can't wait to hear all about it. Wish we were going together, but yet excited God is preparing your team to forge the way!!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alene. I wish I could come with you in October, but I will be excited to share my experiences with you and then join you in prayers for your trip. Blessings.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.