Friday, April 26, 2013

My friend...my Kuleana

I am joining Lisa-Jo Baker and others for Five Minute Friday. Lisa-Jo provides us with a word prompt and we are to write for five minutes with "no extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation."

Today's word: Friend




GO

My morning began with reading the latest devotional from Girlfriends in God, titled "Who is Your Kuleana?" With having the opportunity to recently spend a couple days in Hawaii the post title caught my attention. Apparently, "Kuleana" is a vital island phrase and means your "path" or your "posse," those people for whom and to whom you are responsible.

"They include family who really know you, friends who walk beside you, your children and grandchildren and anyone who looks up to you. Also included are any mentors or leaders who have poured into you. And it definitely includes your spouse."

When I discovered that today's word was "friend" and learned about this Hawaiian phrase, I asked myself Who is my Kuleana?

The answer was easy...my husband.

As Pam Farrel shared in her devotional, my husband and I need to be Kuleana (responsible) to each other first.

We have been through so much together, but I'm grateful for where God has brought us today. God has taught us that we are responsible for carrying each other...we are responsible for ensuring neither of us falls. This requires always putting God first in our life and asking Him to show us how to continually support each other in this daily journey of a life together.

There is a bond between my husband and I that is stronger than ever. He is my best friend...my Kuleana. Throughout the day I will look at this amazing man and simply say to him, "Dear...." His response is always the same, "I know, I love you too."

This year we will celebrate 23 years of marriage. Twice our marriage was almost cut short. What brought me back to him was discovering without him by my side I had lost my best friend.

I am forever grateful that by my side he remains.

STOP  

13 comments :

  1. I was going to write about my husband too! Congratulations on 23 years. Mat God Bless you and your Kuleana:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Rachel! Blessings to you! Happy FMF!

      Delete
  2. My husband and I had a long distance relationship before we married. So we had 4 or 5 years of a really strong friendship at the very beginning. It has been a great blessing!

    Congrats on many years of marriage!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how distance can really make the heart grow fonder. I think we learn to appreciate each other in new ways. I really do hope we can meet at some point Susan...I have a feeling we'd be great friends!!!!

      Delete
  3. This island girl loves that you've incorporated kuleana in here. Warms my heart. I married my very best friend too - I get that. All the ups and downs and things you fight to get through. It's worth it though. With God's grace, it's just so worth it. Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Rebekah! It made me smile that someone from Hawaii read this. And yes...it is worth every moment. God's grace over my marriage takes my breath away at times. (((hugs)))

      Delete
  4. Your post is a beautiful tribute to your husband! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet. I'm married to my best friend too!

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award. You can read more about it at my blog. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sustaining marriage is so not easy...but it is so worth it. My husband is my best friend too. Without him? Well I had to think about that when he was hit by a car 21 years ago. Thankfully, it was not his time to go. Rough, but totally worth it. Bless you Beth...and thanks for always supporting Circles of Faith! (I'm the Exec Editor and cofounder.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.