Tuesday, April 30, 2013

With A Grateful Heart


Original Photo by friend Judd Johnson

For all You've given to me
For all the blessings that I cannot see
Thank You Lord
Thank you Lord

Thanks to (in)courage, thousands of woman gathered around the world on Saturday taking brave steps to embrace community through (in) Real Life meet-ups.
"It's all about friendship and the challenge to stay rooted in community when sometimes just walking away would be so much easier and tons more convenient."
I was unable to attend the meet-up in my area, but through a few online exchanges with the host of the gathering and the other ladies planning to attend, new friendships were beginning to bloom. A simple text on Saturday from one of these lovely ladies saying "Oh...I wish you were coming!" brightened my morning.

With a grateful heart
With a song of praise
With an outstretched arm
I will bless your name.

Instead of attending the local meet-up that morning I participated in a LEAD 2013 conference at my church. I did not miss out on the opportunity to embrace community. Leaders of the church gathered and worshiped God together, prayed over each other, and shared ideas on how to fill the holes within our ministries.

At the end of our time together we were given the chance to share what impacted us most from our day together. A guest speaker during the conference (Dr. Steve Lee) spoke on bringing our best to God. His message challenged me to look at the areas of my life where I'm not bringing my best. This is what I shared before we parted ways. What I really wanted to share was how a day of embracing community filled my heart.

My husband and I could have left our church that day leaving community behind us, but instead we choose to stay. We stayed rooted within that community by continuing into the late evening with another couple. My cup was overflowing.

Thank you Lord
I just want to thank You Lord
Thank You Lord
I just want to thank you Lord
Thank You Lord

On Sunday morning we returned to church and worshiping God was on my heart. I remembered the days of either blaming God for the pain in my life, or saying "if there really is a God, He forgot about me." How wrong I was. My heart was ready to sing praise to God for sending Jesus.

Our Family and Student Pastor delivered a powerful message that seemed to awaken the hearts of us all. His message...run to God. He shared how when bad things happen many times we choose to run from God thinking He's to blame, instead of running to Him. "He's the answer. He made a way to make it right through Jesus Christ."

For all You've done in my life
You took my darkness and gave me Your light
Thank You Lord
Thank You Lord

You took my sin and my shame,
You took my sickness and healed all my pain
Thank You Lord
Thank You Lord

During the service we stood and worshiped God by singing the song I've been sharing throughout this post "Thank You Lord (With A Grateful Heart)." As I sang the words, tears fell down my cheeks. My heart has been changed and many times this can still take my breath away. I had a moment where I was mesmerized again by what happened at the crossmesmerized by what God did for me...for us.

I still struggle to share my faith beyond this blog, but something changed this past weekend. I realized by keeping my faith to myself, I'm withholding from others the greatest gift we were ever given. Jesus Christ!

"The world will know of the greatness of our God
 by the passion with which He is worshiped by His Church." 
~ Dr. Steve Lee

My passion has been ignited!

With a grateful heart
With a song of praise
With an outstretched arm
I will bless Your name

Thank you Lord
I just want to thank You Lord
Thank You Lord
I just want to thank You Lord
Thank You Lord

Thank You Lord (With a Grateful Heart)
By: Don Moen

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
~ Ephesians 3:20-21

33 comments :

  1. I struggle too, to go beyond the blog. I almost feel like I'm back in Jr High again sometimes, thoughts like "are they going to think I'm some religious nut" Are they still going to like me when they know I'm a Christian?" All these questions make me want to stay to myself, which I'm sure Satan would love. But Jesus says to love em. If they're real friends it won't matter. They'll love you the same as you love them.

    I did do (in)rl, and it ended up being a lot of fun! I'm so glad I pushed through the nerves and went for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alecia, happy to hear you were able to do (in)RL. Bravo for pushing through those fears. And, yes..."love em." Amen!

      Delete
  2. good community heals us greatly, doesn't it? so beautiful that it is your heart to be this for others.
    to quote Frederick Buechner: "to lend each other a hand when we're falling; perhaps that's the only work that matters in the end."
    may we bring this healing, compassionate love to many who just need a hand. thank you for this, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Kelli. I love the quote you have shared. I will need to remember this one.
      Blessings to you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Beth, Your scipture verses are so encouraging and enpowering . . . I know the feeling of being unsure and wavering if someone thinks it's too much - but on the other hand - we share form our Hearts, and it is voluntary to read the posts ... God speaks in many ways, someone surely touched by what you share - I am greatly encouraged by your thoughts & posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nina. I'm grateful for these connections and always encouraged by what you share. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. So many women were impacted by Lisa-Jo Baker's vision for (in)RL. Thank you for sharing the impact of it in your life! We are so very blessed to be connected through community! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very blessed! Thank you for stopping by Caryn.

      Delete
  5. Community opens our eyes to those things which are hidden doesn't it? May He give you the boldness and discernment to share your faith as you go about your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is it so easy to put faith into words when we aren staring at a screen but so hard when we're staring someone in the face? I feel the same way. I'm inspired by your new resolve to live boldly and share freely. Praying for Spirit-led encounters for you this week . Thanks for stopping by the Overflow, too. Always a treat to meet you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, it's comforting when we get those "me too's...to know we aren't alone in our struggles. Thank you for stopping by and sharing. I will be praying the same for you. I'm always blessed by these opportuntities to connect.

      Delete
  7. Beautifully said, Beth! I, too, have felt this way. This weekend I attended an inRL gathering, and I don't think my feet touched the ground until Monday or Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you were able to attend an (in)RL gathering Kim. I know many have been blessed by them. So wonderful!

      Delete
  8. Beth,

    That song always makes me cry ... I don't care how many times we've sung it. I always get weepy. Your grateful heart is so evident, Beth. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sang the sung multiple times that morning too so I was close to being a weeping fool. Thanks for your amazing heart Jennifer.

      Delete
  9. Community is essential. And so is gratitude, as you have captured so well here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! Thanks for stopping by. Many blessings to you on this Friday.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a very powerful and moving weekend! I pray that you'll find open doors to share your faith in more public ways. I pray that for myself, too. I'm sure they're right in front of me, but my eyes aren't always open to them because of my own fears and insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very powerful and moving! Thank you for your prayers. I will pray the same for you. So true, many times those opportunities are right in front of us. I find I don't respond out of fear or many times I don't allow myself to slow down to see them. Thank you for stopping by and sharing Lisa.

      Delete
  11. Beth, I'm so excited that your passion for Jesus was set on fire this weekend! God is so awesome to give us those life-changing times in community and worship. I love this song... I've shed a few tears myself while listening to those words. I pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to give you the courage to speak the name of Jesus to the needy-in-heart. You have a tender heart... I love that!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful song Mary and I've continued to go around humming it all week long. It's the Holy Spiring continuing to work in my heart. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by. Blessings to you. Beth

      Delete
  12. God knew where you needed to be this past weekend. I'm glad you got to soak up truth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah girl, your grateful heart shines ~ and I love sitting in its light here at your place.

    Much love to you, Beth. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Kristen! Much love to you too!

      Delete
  14. Beth,
    You share your faith so simply and so beautifully. God loves a humble heart. Your gratitude and thanks for what Christ has done for you is so apparent. You are an inspiration!! Love you girl,
    Bev ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev, your kind words always touch me heart. Thank you! (((hugs)))

      Delete
  15. What a touching testimony ♥ I'm not currently part of a church community... or any type of community really, at this time :( ..but I'm moving in a month or two with hopes of changing that and look forward to finding a church to join where I can enjoy the same experiences you just described :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, praying for you as you prepare for your move. I pray God brings you to a church where you will be blessed by community. Always nice to see you here! I'm so grateful for our new friendship. Many blessings to you.

      Delete
  16. I wish we hsd those here in our small town, but we dont. Something to think sbout. Sounds like a great way to connect. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful community worship weekend you had. And such a reminder to share our faith...As Fern Nichols from Moms In Prayer has said, we may be the only Jesus people ever encounter. When we share our faith it is really about Him, not us. That helps me be more willing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beth,
    This is an awesome post and I am grateful to you for linking it to Wednesday's Word. Passion - yes and asking the Holy Spirit to give us fervour, and bravery to step out and tell others what makes our lives different with Christ at the centre.
    Praying that you will forge the barrier and go and be a witness for God. And praying for me too to do the same.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.