Friday, April 12, 2013

Trusting God Right Here


I am joining Lisa-Jo Baker and others for Five Minute Friday. Lisa-Jo provides us with a word prompt and we are to write for five minutes with "no extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation."

Today's word: Here


Original Photo by friend Judd Johnson

GO

Here I am. It's Friday and I'm at the office trying to avoid accepting that this cold has grabbed a hold of me. I shouldn't be writing while at work, but it will be short as five minutes is the limit.

As I sit here I can't help but to find myself asking again is here really where you want me, God? I keep wishing His response would be different because I'd rather be anywhere but here. As I anxiously await my mission trip to Guatemala later this year, I hope there is where He will leave my heart. I hope there I will discover my calling.

Every time I find myself questioning if here is where He has called me to be, I'm reminded of these words from Colossians 3:23 said by Paul, "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people." These words were previously pinned to my cork board in my office as a daily reminder. I'm not sure why I chose to take them down. Maybe it's time to put them back up as I know God is asking me to trust Him right here.

Here I am, going over the five minute limit and still wishing I was in some other place. I don't like to find myself questioning God. It's okay to question Him, right? Even though I find myself questioning God, making the choice to trust Him always finds its way back to my heart.

Right now, here is where He's called me to be.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

STOP

20 comments :

  1. This is beautiful. You have such a great attitude and a wonderful reminder for all of us that He has called us to be here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. Hope your weekend has been wonderful.

      Delete
  2. No matter where we are"working willingly" is the key. Good reminder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! When I start my word day tomorrow I'm going to make sure the verse is hanging in my office again as I need this daily reminder. Thank you for stopping by Leslie!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my FMF post. I have felt the same so many times, just waiting for a better, more fulfilling here. Embracing the here when it is not what I would choose has been a recurring lesson for me. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My one word for 2013 is embrace! It makes me smile when I see the word being used. It's a reminder to me that God had me pick that word for a reason. Thanks for stopping by Rachael.

      Delete
  4. I have a cross that has on Proverbs 3:5 on my wall :) ...I actually wasn't familiar with Colossians 3:23 - thank you for sharing, definitely something to reflect on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I'm not sure of the theology of questioning, my gut says that God is pleased that you're constantly in contact with him. You're not so much questioning as "Checking in."

    Nice post.
    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. Your comment brought a smile to my face. I love looking at it as "checking in." Coming by to check out your blog.

      Delete
  6. Great reminder. I always struggle with my "here." And a lot to think about - am I questioning God's "here" or simply seeking Him for advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm wishing we could have coffee together! Feeling very grateful for our online connection.

      Delete
  7. Hi Beth! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed reading your post. And I am so jealous you are going to Guatemala. I had a tripped planned for October, but have to pull out as my nephew is getting ready the same week. My feet must touch foreign soil this year. I pray God will open another door for me! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, I will join you in praying God opens another door for you. This is something I had been praying for and I'm grateful for the opportunity to go with my church. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Nothing wrong with questioning, Beth:) I've found accepting the answer is the harder part! Fun to see you here at FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Kimberly. I appreciate your feedback. As a new work week begins my heart is set on trusting Him that here is where He's called me to be.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed your post, Beth. I wasn't able to join in on Five Minute Friday this week! I love a saying I learned in a Bible Study a while back, "Gd doesn't waste a moment of the meantime." He'll use you wherever your "here" is...in your office, Guatemala or anywhere in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Becky! I'm so glad we have connected now in this blogging world. Thank you too for sharing. As a new work week begins they are words I need to remember. I hope we are able to meet soon!

      Delete
  10. Amen, trust Him here, and now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you and I read every one. Be sure to subscribe to comments or check back as I try to respond to all comments. I also do my best to hop on over to your blog for a visit.
Much love to you.